Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Things that are... interesting... about Australia

While we're 'Down Under', David will be writing most of the posts about what we do. I'll be writing posts about the things that are "different". I'm sure this will be the first of many posts...

1. Coffee - First you should know, you can't get cream here. Every time I ask for it the clerk looks at me as if I've got an eye in the middle of my forehead. Second, they have special 'coffee lingo'. You can order a flat white or a short black - I don't know what any of this means. I want a cup of coffee with cream and Splenda.

2. Iced Tea - It's summer here. It's HOT. They can make you all the hot tea you want, if you want iced tea - you'll have to settle for the bottled stuff. Go Figure.

3. Hotel Room Lights - This was particularly odd. In order to use the electricity in your room you have to leave the key card in this slot by the door. Now you may remember that it is HOT - the AC also does not work without this key, so it's 95 degrees (or whatever in celcius (whole other topic)), I can't get iced tea, and when I get back to my hotel room it's freaking hot. Great.

4. Hamburgers - When you order your hamburger you should be aware that it may come with a pickled beet on it. Some restaurants even charge extra for it. I'm thinking about polling people on the monorail to find out if people would really pay extra for it. You may note that you can't pick off a pickled beet, it leaves beet juice everywhere. Another thing about the burger which I found nice was that they don't put pickles on it, they use cucumbers.

5. "Fillet" - We went to a German restaurant the other night. I ordered Fillet. It wasn't 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches thick. I'm not sure what cut of meat it was. It may have been the flank of Kangaroo.

6. Taxes & Tip - This is actually real nice. It's included. If you see something is $15 - It's $15. You don't have to pay any more!

7. 10% surcharge - Today at a restaurant they had a note on their menu that they charge 10% more on Sundays and National holidays. I don't know if this is normal or not - but an interesting concept. I'm going to charge extra for my services on Fridays. If you'd like to utilize my services on Fridays, you'll have to pay me 10% more.

I'm quite sure there is more to come, because I think that I've forgotten some of the things that I've found to be weird. And I think that I could write an entire post on the fact that while we speak the same 'language' it sure can be difficult to communicate sometimes... just ask me what a pram or capsicum is...

Until next time,
Lisa Down Under

2 comments:

RnJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RnJ said...

Lisa, you are hilarious.

We miss you guys! I especially miss the looks people gave you when you asked for cream and Splenda. Camera worthy at times, that's for sure.

Are you wearing your sunnies in Taupo?

Hope you arrived safe and well.

Hug Jackson for us! Oh, and hi to you as well, Dave! Hehehe.